Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sweeeeeet maaate - 12/07/2011

Sweet shops (for all), sweet achievements (by Jack), super-sweet mountain bike trails (for Steve and me).  I've always said Porepunkah has it all!

A north east holiday would not be complete without an early visit to the Sweet Retreat for lollies, coffee and florentines (for Karen).  Some might say it's the easiest way to get the kids off our backs for a while.  (Yep - well, they'd probably be right!)

 Later in the day Jack, Steve and I headed out for Jack's first ever assault on Mt. Buffalo -


The Cycle Works of Box Hill racing team headed out early arvo with an initial aim just to make it to Eurobin Creek and the falls walking track.  Jack smashed Steve up to this point and was filled with renewed energy to go much further up the mountain -


After a short lie-down, we jumped back on and made it as far as the mineral spring; a fantastic effort for Jack's first Buffalo ascent.  He looked strong all the way and it won't be long before his legs will be causing my legs significant problems on climbs of the likes of Buffalo.


Whilst I yelled descending instructions to Jack all the way down, his skills on eye positioning and cornering lines could only be described as el natural as we flowed down the mountain at speeds which had my heart in my throat at times as I watch my son cranked over in bumby corners.  Nice work my boy!  Please be gentle on me in years to come.

The long shadows of a sunny winter afternoon in the Ovens Valley finished off a great ride with that comforting feeling of being in the Australian bush and the crisp fresh air with not a worry in the world.


A great lead up to another couple of hours of beautrifully sweet mountain bike single track with Steve as we rode into the dark of the winter evening.

Morses Creek has never looked better as we flowed through The Rapids  trail 
section of the 6 hour course.

And after a couple of hours, the welcoming Porepunkah Cottage was a sight to see with the knowlege it contained a nice hot shower.


And with reflection on the day and the fact that my 11 year old son just climbed half of Buffalo on his ear, my thoughts were, "Yes - my children are getting bigger - far too quickly!"

Lucy and Karen

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet - but scary!

2 comments:

  1. go jackory!!!! :)
    sounds like he did great, cant wait to ride with him on the mountains

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too mate. Won't be long and I'll be smashed by my nephew AND my son!

    ReplyDelete