Thursday, April 21, 2011

Solo ride for Roger - 21/04/2011

I finished another solo night ride in Bright tonight with a visit to Roger. You can read about him here.

I stood by the big man's grave in the dark night with my monster MTB light shining on it and thought about how much he would have enjoyed what I just did. Amongst messages from his closest family, his head-stone reads...

"Gone for a ride."

I did three and a half hours solo on the mountains bike tonight through Bright, Wandiligong and surrounds. I'm not usually a loner but my solo rides up here these holidays have been super enjoyable.

It was a gorgeous day in Bright today and full of sunshine... until about 4pm - ten minutes after I left for my ride.

It poured for half hour. Slippery trails and lights from 5.30pm made for good skills training - and a mechanical at my furthest point from home required a chain break and quick-link.

Whilst still dressed in mud, a later discussion with my brother Tim and Roger's brother Guy reminded me further of how precious life (and family) is.

Rain, mud, break-downs, single track, Bright, Wandiligong - MTB. Roger would have loved it! R.I.P. mate and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment